artists official website allycewood.com

Sketches from Zion





to see more and follow along with future postings, follow me on Instagram: http://instagram.com/a11yce/

While traveling through Arizona, Nevada, and Utah, I was struck by the completely different geological environments compared to what I was used to here in the Pacific Northwest. At home, I examine life by calculating the age of trees, the density of topsoil, and water. In the desert, time is to be calculated on a much larger scale: trees are in the hundreds of years old while stone and it's sand, is in the thousands-to-millions. It was shock enough to be surrounded by a landscape of red instead of green, and then to consider the expanded calendar of Earth- it was astounding. 

In these sketches, I look to the physical structures of stone, it's formation, its 'strata of reveal', how it succumbs to erosion, and my own relationship with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.